Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Demise of the Railings House

Shortlands Metalwork Left Window
It may seem a small thing, but the nearby house with the arty 'David Smith-esque' metal railings is half-demolished, and with it a part of the spirit of the locality melts away. Shortlands has little to distinguish it, it's a bit of nowhere area between Bromley and Beckenham - both underwhelming themselves. The railings were a tiny bit of magic in a humdrum place!
Shortlands Metalwork Right Window Shortlands Metalwork Left Window
The house has stood empty for at least a couple of years, these photos I took this February. I don't know anything about it - perhaps it was an artist's studio once, and they practised their art on the balcony railings.

Here are some pictures of it in half-gutted state:
Gutted House Left Window Gutted House Right Window
Gutted  Arty-railings House

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

I hope someone salvaged those railings!

7:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really did bring a tear to my eye- I hope other locals feel the same!
As long as they don't replace it with a horrible block of flats.

10:50 am  
Blogger Johnnynorms said...

Couldn't see them in the rubble, so yes I hope they were saved. House now in more advanced state of pulverisation. It's the end of an era.

10:15 am  
Blogger Joanna said...

What a shame, I hope someone saved those lovely railings.

3:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home