ARTWORDS
Surrealism: Dark Brain Revisited

Taking a lobster for a walk, having fried eggs for eyes...I think it's easy to be superficially surrealist. It's very hard to be originally so, but a different matter altogether to genuinely draw deeply from one's unconscious dreaming mind, and doubly difficult to then shape that raw material into profound finished work. I speak as someone who has merely nibbled at the edges of Andre Breton's Surrealist Manifesto. Here's his official definition:
Surrealism, n. Psychic automatism in its pure state, by which one proposes to express - verbally, by means of the written word, or in any other manner - the actual functioning of thought. Dictated by thought, in the absence of any control exercised by reason, exempt from any aesthetic or moral concern.I find it very difficult to acheive this level of relinquishing control of my reasoning mind. When I sometimes think I'm approaching automatism, it turns out to be more stream-of-consciousness than stream-of-unconsciousness. Perhaps this is why I quest so much after ways of introducing serendipity or chance elements into my art and music - serious playing! Still, I think surrealism seeps into my drawing, although it could be a memory of looking at so many other surrealist works! D'oh!!
I have a preference for the surrealist artists who tend towards amorphous, ambigous form and movement - especially Joan Miro, Max Ernst & maybe Andre Masson. I also love the teasing conceptual playfulness of Rene Magritte, my favourite of those who use more exact representation. Not to say I can't enjoy a furry teacup or a lobster telephone from time-to-time either! The former approach has obviously influenced my Dark Brain drawings seen here. Perhaps the nearest I've ever got, although you may think that little is really revealed. 'Dark' is meant as the unchartered areas deep down where the light of reason doesn't usually shine, which is not exclusively the primitive, amoral, unspeakable & unthinkable - but certainly includes those.
(I apologise for dragging in almost two year's old work - I wanted to create a new one, but found I couldn't do it to order. The writing is hot off the press anyway.)

Labels: moodtrail








7 Comments:
I think I see a ladies shape in the top one. Very deep thoughts here ... I think I'll drag out my Miro book for perusing this evening!
i agree with you, johnny. it's not enough to copy what's previously passed as surrealism - yet what is surrealism without such reference points? i'm having a bit of difficulty (largely because i've never studied art) partly because i think my style accidently (hmm, hold that thought) stems from the surreal - but i wouldn't call it that.
mostly I draw and see what happens. i like to call it doodlism.
Ha! Andrea this wasn't supposed to be a rorshach ink blot test, or whatever they're called! I see the shape you mean - purely accidental..I wish you joy of Miro!!
Sounds like we're thinking on roughly the same lines Ian, except rather than doodlism, I call mine Vague-ism! Same difference.
What do you count as studying art? It sounds and looks like you know a bit! I haven't officially studied it, but I've a bookshelf groaning with Art in the 20th C books (mine and the library's).
Great write up Johnnynorms. Also, please do not appologize for posting these--nothing wrong with digging back to the archives. Anyhow, have you ever sen the work of Joseph Cornell? He was loosely affiliated with Surrealism but was also very much working within his own personal realm.
no, woefully ignorant i'm afraid. not even O-level standard. it would even be on dodgy ground to claim i was 'self-taught'.
though i have enrolled on a course starting in a few weeks - basic stuff though!
I do like Joseph Cornell, Steve, his name always conjours up an image of a cockatoo in a box with other assorted oddments. The surrealist artists are striking in their dissimilarities to each other. And I suppose a lot of labels, schools etc contain artists who like to think of themselves ploughing their own furrow.
Sounds like modesty to me Ian, but I'll believe you! Personally I find the more I read, I get more 'knowledgeable' but also more confused. So when I hold forth, I get the uncomfortable feeling that I've actually got it all back to front. Can't stop me blathering about art though...
Post a Comment
<< Home