Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Dark Brain Detour II


From a series called Detour through a Dark Brain, journeying inwards to the remoter regions of the mind. If I dedicated this to anyone it would be the surrealist painter Max Ernst who created landscapes out of the technique of frottage (pencil rubbings of objects).

In my picture above, most of the grooves were made either with my fingernail, or the lid of the biro. In other drawings, various household objects were seized for a bit of frottage, including...yes: the television remote. More REMOTENESS on Illustration Friday this week.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

Excellent, excellent! Go Frottage! My favouites are from tomb stones - have never tried a remote control ... might do a brain detour ... hah! A brain contour is an excellent idea :) Looks great and you have a very interesting brain indeed. I especially like scratchy effects and they are great to do also!

2:53 am  
Blogger Ellen said...

Great job. I think Max would like this very much!

3:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool...and i love that word "frottage"...rolls over and over on the tongue!
cheers,
kerry

6:25 am  
Blogger Johnnynorms said...

ta, anonymous - everyone should take a detour into their own brain sometime. I've sat and philosophised on tomb stones but never used them for art purposes.

thanks Ellen. Ernst it to the Max!

hello Kerry - sounds like you had frottage on toast for breakfast..

9:39 am  
Blogger Aravis said...

This is wonderful. I feel like I could look at it forever and see something new or discover something else. Excellent!

6:29 am  
Blogger Johnnynorms said...

thanyou Aravis - a welcome piece of encouragement. I tried doing some more like these, and they all ended up in the bin with a curse! It seems they are rather spontaneous and will not come at my beck and call.

9:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home