Thursday, November 24, 2005

Free Art

The theme on Illustration Friday this week was FREE, and the only idea I wanted to explore was a picture to go with the following poem/song of mine. I'm feeling totally unispired, and there is no picture! Never mind...

Free Art
"Isms" scratch down, whirl round down,
Can’t you hold that picture still?
Squirming like a new-born weasel,
It eases itself off your easel.
From a shade-hidden corner,
It commences a colourful glide.

No living artist could’ve created
This restless, moving mass.
Colour dripping off, in stalactites,
Flecks scintillating in a spectrum of lights.
Peering ‘round the studio, its distraut blobs
Vividly glaring, with pigment daubs blaring.

Gaudily gyrating, its perspective rather hectic
Tints all stirring, composition clearly cryptic.
Once cooped on canvas, now escaped in style,
Confused in new freedom, its hues try to smile.
Swamped in atmospheres of raw motion,
Tangents in a tumble, its mutely heard to mumble.

As it passes by,
The portraits babble on either side.
A black and white sketch enviously studies.
The Old Master, snobbily snide
Rudely dismisses it as grafitti,
Whereas the cartoons can’t relate
To it at all.

The still life just sits still.

6 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

I guess its pretty impossible when

"No living artist could’ve created
This"

But I think not doing a picture is a pretty free interpretation!

9:01 am  
Blogger Johnnynorms said...

Hi Caroline - class comment! Perhaps I draw free most of the time, so if I sit there thinking "now I'm going to draw free" my imagination seizes up! ?
I think the poem needs an animation of a great glutinous oil paint and plasticine entity by someone like Jan Svankmeyer.

10:52 am  
Blogger Anonymous said...

I think you just painted a masterpiece! Scintillating words!

1:14 pm  
Blogger Johnnynorms said...

Scintillating! I forgot to cram that word in as well! Thanks Anonymous.

5:22 pm  
Blogger Johnnynorms said...

Oops-no! Sorry, scintillating IS in there isn't it! I have a memory like...a whatyoumacallit.

7:38 am  
Blogger Anonymous said...

Sieve.

2:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home